September 15, 1930
With actual or tacit approvals in hand, Ms. Scripps awarded the construction contract to W.M. Ledbetter & Company. Two days later, equipment arrived on site and construction commenced. According to Savage, “[t]he purpose of the project was to create a safe bathing pool for children, sheltered from the ocean surf and winds.” “The park area on the bluff adjoining the pool was improved by grading and the construction of parapet walls, and curbs. Shrubs have been planted and benches provided.”
Permission from the City was granted. The City Park Department approved the construction on July 22, 1930. The War Department issued a construction permit on September 2, 1930.